Blogger Backgrounds

Friday, April 8, 2011

Migraines~~what causes them and WHY???

I don't know if you have been following my facebook page but Dam I have had a Migraine for over 5 days STRAIGHT!! It started out on Sunday night when I was about to go to bed. I was laying down, Sam was at work, I was just about asleep and all of the sudden this Squeezing thing happened in the very base of my head where my neck attaches to my head. Then the squeezing released, then it was this warm kind of oozy type of feeling, then all of the sudden SEVERE Throbbing non stop Throbbing. Ever since then I have had this Unbelievable Migraine Headache ALL WEEK LONG!!! I went to work on Monday, I got sent home because it was so debilitating that I could not function. I went straight to bed. I took my migraine medicine and it only lasted like 4 hours I slept for what felt like All day and all night. Then on Tuesday it was there again when I woke up so I called out of work that day. I made an appointment to see my dr. I took my medicine and slept some more. Then I went to the dr. I told him what happened on Sunday and what has been going on, he said I was having neck spasms, he gave me a muscle relaxer shot and sent me home to rest. The shot lasted about 4 or 5 hours and the migraine came back stronger then ever. By this time, I was just totally exhausted. I couldn't do ANYTHING!!! I felt like I was just breathing. I didn't want to eat, I didn't want to stand, or walk or ANYTHING!!! I basically slept the entire day. Then on Wednesday I went to work because I thought my migraine was gone, I woke up feeling like I can do it and go to work. Well so by the time I got to work, My migraine came back EVEN STRONGER then it did in the past few days. I took my medicine while I was at work and it didn't even touch it. (I have prescription medicine for migraines). I went into the nurses office at work and laid there for a little while and then all of the sudden, my blood pressure like spiked, and I felt like I was going to pass out. I was very off balance, I was totally out of it. They called the ambulance, I went to the ER. They never did any kind of test or anything. They basically said I am having a SEVERE migraine, they hooked me up with an IV with medicine and fluid. Watched me for a few hours and then sent me home to rest. I went home and I slept for what seemed like forever again. By this time, I was totally sick of Migraines!!!! On Thursday morning, I called off work, called into the neurologist and was told to come in at 1:00 that day. So I went back to sleep till about 12. I could not even function. I had Kimi bring me to the neurologists at 1 and they took me right back. Meanwhile I have been taking my migraine medicine like every 4 hours and it has not given me any release at all. SO they took me back into this dark quiet room and the doctor came in talked to me, asked me what has been going on and all. I told him about what happened Sunday night and what has been going on ever since then and he said, did they do an MRI or Cat Scan at the hospital. I said no. He said I am ordering an MRI and Cat Scan right away (he said STAT). He said you may be having an aneurysm or bleeding on the brain or something else I couldn't pronounce. WELL THAT JUST THREW ME OFF MY CHARTS!!! I became SCARED to DEATH!!! So I called my best friend Donna and told her to please come there with me. I didn't know what was going on. So I go back into this dark room and hung out there till they straighted everything out with my insurance and got everything together. SO they took me to do the MRI and Cat Scan, never ever had one done before. Was scared and nervous to death. All said and done about 1 hour later. He comes to get me to go over my results with me. The nerves start like crazy. HE said, everything looks normal (that the good news) and no sign of aneurysm or bleeding or even stroke. So that was good. The bad thing was that it was a "CLUSTER" Migraine. Never heard of that before. But basically he said, somehow I pinched the nerve in my neck on Sunday night and it has caused a cluster of nerves to be inflamed and irrigated and out of wack for this long. If not treated, in a timely manner, could cause permanent damage to neck, nerves, or even brain. OK. So what do I do now, I said. He said I need to give you an IV of different medicines, you need to have some one drive you home and you will be totally out of it for about 6-8 hours. It is like being on anesthesia. I said ok. So he gives me this IV, for about 1/2 hour. Donna brings me home and I don't remember anything at all after that. Sam and Donna got me in the house and I passed out. It was like anesthesia. I slept more and more and more. I didn't even know what day it was when I got up, I didn't even know where the hell I was or how I got there. IT slowly wore off and I felt a little outta of it for the rest of the night and then into this morning. I went to work this morning thinking I can do it and be ok. WELL Wrong!! I got to work, I didn't have a migraine anymore, but I was moving very very very slowly, kind of loopy, and outta of it. Should have never even drove there. They sent me home. Which was not a bad idea cus I was still under the influence of the medicines they put into my IV. SO I got home today about 9:00 and I SLEPT AND SLEPT AND SLEPT some more. When I woke up at around 4:00 tonight I FINALLY for the FIRST time all week, felt like myself again. I did not have a headache anymore. I felt like I was focusing and can move and function again. I was starving, cus I really had not eaten anything in like 3 or 4 days. I drank what seemed like 6 glasses of water and 4 cups of hot tea so far tonight. And I have been on here and on the computer for a good few hours tonight. So I think I am ok now, THANK GOD!!!! I think I am migraine free for now. I hope I don't ever ever ever have to go through that ever again. It was VERY VERY SCARY!!! I have to go back in a month and let him know since yesterday how many more, if any, migraines I have and how long they lasted. I hope for my sake, I don't have anymore at all. Because they are DEBILITATING AND I CAN'T handle being like that ever again. So THANK GOD I am ok!!!!

1 comment:

Leena said...

Oh my gosh Patti--thank God you are Ok!!! I've(knock on wood) never had migraines so I dont know what they feel like--however reading your post, I can feel your pain--what you were going through. I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious though!! Glad you're feeling like yourself again :)