Blogger Backgrounds

Friday, October 3, 2008

Happy Birthday Aunt Jeannie

Well today, October 3rd is my Aunt Jeannie's birthday. However, 8 1/2 years ago, she passed away from complications with Diabetes. She contracted diabetes at the tender age of 11 years old and she had to live her whole life with this disease. At such a young age, she had to learn to give herself shots every day for the rest of her life. She never let it stop her though. She was amazing. She grew up having this disease and she never let it control her. She got married and had two wonderful sons and she was an amazing women to all of our family. I can remember our family always getting together for weekends and holidays and I can remember her always happy and smiling and loving life. As I was growing up, I started to realize that what she had was slowing killing her. I remember her starting to get sick and then she had to go on Dialysis. But throughout her life, she was happy and made the best of it.

When I started working with Handicapped children at the age of 15, I told her all about it. She was sssssoooo very proud of me. She told me that I was an angel in her eyes. And that one day, God is going to call me to his home and all the children I have been helping over the years are going to be there and free from their disabilities. We created such a bond towards the end of her journey on this earth that when she died, I realized right then and there that she was MY HERO!!! She was so proud of me in the things I was doing with the children. But she suffered so much and throughout it all, she never let it get her down. She is everything I wished I could be. She was the definition of Strength.

I never got to tell her the feelings that I had for her. I never got to tell her that she was my hero. I never got to tell her that she was the reason I am who I am today. SHE was the reason I love my job, I love the kids I work with. She was the wind beneath my wings. I am the person I am today because of the encouragement, love, and support that she gave me.

The very day that she passed away, the very minute I heard about her passing away, this song was on the radio "The Wind Beneath My Wings"!!!!!!! So right then, I knew that what I was doing with my life is what I have been placed on this earth to do. I knew right then that My Aunt Jeannie was MY HERO!!!!

3 comments:

Diggitydap said...

There was no stronger inspiration in our family than Aunt Jeannie. I remember the butterfly poem & eulogy that I created for her when she was called home. The day of her funeral when I came back home there were butterflies around my front porch. I believe it was her thanking me for being there as part of the strength for the family. And since that day I see butterflies every now & then. I believe in my heart that it's Aunt Jeannie blessing me and showing me that her spirit is alive & well. Life is too short & we all need to grasp the ones we love & remind them daily how important they are to us. As Patti stated we all grew up so very close & the memories are forever etched in our souls. We are now spread out across the country but we need to maintain what we were brought up to know which is FAMILY is the foundation & without it we could never know our true identities.

I miss Aunt Jeannie greatly. I know she is loving life in heaven alongside other relatives we've lost along the way. MeMe & Pepe, Grandpa & Vinnie too. They are all angels and continue to look over us all.

May God continue to bless us all & keep our faith strong.

LOCnHEART said...

You've Been Tagged!
We can do this Together

http://locnheart.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think about Aunt Jeannie everyday. I can still hear her voice...she was a special person in all of our lives...I'll never forget the gatherings with her and how she always had a smile on her face. I miss her tremendously!!