Blogger Backgrounds

Friday, September 19, 2008

Dover is being SWARMED!!!!!

It is Officially the weekend to stay home all weekend. Those who follow Nascar know that Dover Delaware is being swarmed with campers, people, race cars, traffic, flags, beer, vendors, and the list goes on and on. Those who live here, if they are not into the races, hibernate for the weekend. This is the weekend that Nascar takes over our little town of Dover and us locals feel so out of place. It is funny how it happens. For like 2 weeks or so before the race (twice a year-Sept. & June) businesses up and down the highway put up "welcome race fan" signs, the various car dealers in the area empty their lots and put up "parking for race" signs, suddenly there is massive amounts of porta pottys up and down the highway. It is a sight. So funny to see them prepareing for the race. Then when Friday comes , we (who do not get into races) get off of work, go home and STAY put. There is no way we can even get around anywhere if we wanted to. Every parking lot is full, all the stores are crowded, every side street leading up to Dover Downs is covered with cars, the highway becomes a slow way, nobody moves. It is a mess. The race brings in about an extra 100,000 people just for the weekend. Sure it boosts our local economy but DANG!!! We are stuck. SSSSSOOOOO needless to say, I will be staying home all weekend, I stopped by the store on the way home to get the few things that I needed and I am done. The streets will not see the likes of me until Monday morning when I have to go back to work. I am even going to miss Church this Sunday because the race starts at 2:00 on Sunday and the traffic getting to the race will be crazy and I will not even be able to get out of my development. So, there is a ton of things I can do around here and this will be the perfect weekend to get those things done.


2 comments:

Peggy said...

WOW!!! To me, that sounds like a PARTY! I would love to go to a race just once, and I am not a fan. But I am kinda a redneck and I get along with other rednecks. LOL Would you believe that I have NEVER been to Dover Downs?? I want to go really bad. If I ever have $$$ again, will you babysit my kids while I go out? Unless you want to go with me - then someonese can babysit while WE go out! HA!

Lynn said...

Well, I AM a race fan and I WILL be visiting you for the next race weekend (June 2009)! Christopher just got a small glimps of it this past June and he said we have to go back! See you then!!