Blogger Backgrounds

Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Day In My shoes at work

So as I mentioned in the past, I work in a school with Children with disabilities. Well, I haven't told you about my kids yet. This year we have the biggest class we have ever had. I have been in the school 13 years now. And this is going to be the toughest year yet. We have 19 kids, 2 teachers, and 5 paraeducators (teacher's aides). Well this year, we have 10 children in wheelchairs who need help with every aspect of their day. Bathrooming, feeding, positioning, communicating, everything. Then we have 9 kids who have "other disabilities" who walk but still need help with feeding, bathrooming, and communicating. Well the kids that walk like to escape and hide and pull all kinds of things off the shelves. We are constantly running after them and trying to keep them in the room and not knock things off onto the kids that are laying down on the mats on the floor. So when we get there in the morning until 2:30 in the afternoon, we are humping our buts off. Constantly changing diapers, putting children in different positioning equipment, feeding, doing art, music, gross motor activities, fine motor activities; all while trying to keep them safe and engaged. Man does our day go by super FAST. We have to be on our toes all day long, we are constantly "counting" kids. It is so funny to see 7 adults with their fingers in the air counting heads. But this year we have to do that. We have such a big group of kids and not enough hands to handle them.
BUT I would not change it for anything else in the entire world. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my job. I love every aspect of it. I LOVE the kids. I love the time when you can see the accomplishments that they have made and the how their face lights up with delight when they know they have done something special. Or when we have been working on a goal for months and they finally master it, man is that exhilarating.
So although I do come home from work tired on many occasions, I chose this life and I am so glad that I did. This is what I have been placed on this Earth to do, this is MY PASSION, this is why I wake up every day and go to work. It is not about the money, it is not about the contract, benefits or anything else you can name. I go to work because I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!!!! How many people do you know can Honestly say that???? I live by the motto: If you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life. Isn't that the truth.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Not many people can say they love their job. You are blessed!! And you are a very special woman to do the work you do. I am sure your kids' parents are so thankful.